- Surah Ar-Rahman means – The Beneficient or The Exceedingly or Unimaginably Merciful.
- Surah Ar – Rahman occurs in the 27th Juzz and is numbered 55th Surah in the Mushaf. Surah Ar – Rahman consists of 78 Verses.
- There is a dispute among scholars regarding the categorization of Surah Ar-Rahman as Meccan or Medinan Surah.
- It consists of a refrain which repeats 31 times.
Fabi-ayyi ala – i rabbikuma tukaththibaan
So which of the favours of your lord would you deny?
- The Surah is organised in the following layout
a) Description of the greatness of the Qur’an.
b) Some of Allah‘s favours to humanity.
d) People who feared punishment of Allah, did good deeds and deserve paradise.
e) Another Paradise.
Names of Allah Learnt
- Ar – Rahman – The Most Gracious / The Most Beneficient / The Most Merciful.
10 Arabic Words Memorized
- Khalaqa – He Created.
- Bayaan – (the) speech.
- Shamsu – Sun.
- Qamaru – Moon.
- Najmu – Stars.
- Shajaru – Trees.
- Mizaan – The Balance.
- Wazna – The Weight.
- Fakhihatun – (is) fruit.
- Asfi – Husk.
Ar-Rahman demands us to stop, reflect and think deeply. When we think about this ayah, it is supposed to be a very personal experience, and we need to think about some of the mercies we are enjoying RIGHT NOW!
In the very next verse Allah gives us the example of His ultimate mercy – QUR’AN. Then the creation of humans is mentioned. Logically the order should be
1. Existence – Humans.
2. Purpose – Qur’an.
WHY IS THIS REVERSED?! Because the purpose of our creation is more important than our existence. Allah has blessed us with speech. We are told about the sun, the moon and the precision and discipline that they follow. Allah points our direction towards sky and how He subhanahu wa’ta’aala holds it firm above us. And how everything is not allowed to transgress the MIZAAN = BALANCE. Yet we as humans whenever we do something unjust are violating this balance set by Allah.
We are instructed to maintain the balance. Allah has blessed us with this beautiful Earth where fruits, trees, scented herbs and husked grain grows.
THEN WHICH OF THE FAVOURS, MIRACLES, WONDERS, POWERS, GIFTS AND BLESSINGS WILL YOU BOTH (jinn and humans) DENY AND DELIBERATELY BE AGAINST!
Allah tells us He created us from clay, we are being put in our place we are nothing but dust!