Surah Al Wa’qiah (Verses 1 – 14)
Names of Allah Learnt
10 Arabic Words Memorized
- Idha – When.
- Rafi-atun – Raising Up.
- Ardu – The Earth.
- Jibalu – The Mountains.
- Azwajan – Kinds.
- Fa Ashabu – Then (the) companions.
- Maymanati – (of) the right.
- Mashamati – (of) the left.
- Sabiquna – The Foremost.
- Awalina – The Former (people).
- Surah Al Waqi’ah is the 56th Surah in the mushaf and is preceded by Ar Rahman.
- The Theme of Al Waqi’ah and Ar Rahman is nearly similar but the order of topics is reversed.
- Al Waqi’ah occurs in the 27th Juzz or parah of the Qur’an and consists of 96 Verses.
- Al Waqi’ah is a Meccan Surah.
- BENEFITS : It was narrated from Shujaa’ from Abi Faatimah that ‘Uthmaan ibn ‘Affaan (may Allaah be pleased with him) visited Ibn Mas’ood when he was sick. He said, “What is hurting?” He said, “My sins.” He said, “What do you need?” He said, “The mercy of my Lord.” He said, “Shall we not call the doctor for you?” He said, “The doctor made me ill.” He said, “Shall I order that your regular income [from the state] be restored to you?” He said, “You did not let me have it before today and I have no need of it now.” He said, ‘Then leave it to your family and dependents.” He said, “I have taught them something which, if they say it, they will never become poor. I heard the Messenger of Allaah(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say, ‘Whoever recites al-Waaqi’ah every night will never become poor.” (Narrated by al-Bayhaqi in Shu’ab al-Eemaan, 2/491. This hadeeth was classed as da’eef by Shaykh al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Da’eefah, 289).
Summary of 14 Ayahs
Allah tells us when the day of judgment occurs there will be nothing to reverse it – there will be no going back from this catastrophe!! (May Allah safeguard and protect us – ameen)
3rd Verse needs detailing..
Surah Al Waqi’ah 56 : Verse 3
It will bring down [some] and raise up [others]
On that day many things will fall and many things will raise
– The Sun will fall.
– The Mountains will fall, crumble, become dust and get scattered.
– Buildings & high structures will become flat
– The Deep oceans will rise.
– People buried under the earth will rise and come out.
The other interpretation is with regards to the status of the people..
– A king high and mighty in this world might be in a low condition on that day.
– Where as a poor beggar who was righteous may be given the status of a king. The powerful, arrogant,unjust and mighty will become powerless and weak and the ones oppressed,denied and humiliated will be honored and raised in ranks.
QURANIC GEM : Qur’an presents to us in many places the imagery of the day of judgement. The believers will be elevated and will be looking down upon the kuffar. The highest rank or station will that be of Prophet Muhammad salallahu aleyhi wasallam – The Quran describes it as “Maqaman Mahmudan – The Station worthy of praise”.
REFLECTION :There are many instances when we feel betrayed, when we ask why dint Allah give me justice, where we think “we deserved something” and yet were denied. Some times in life even after doing everything right the blessing doesn’t come and hardship isn’t lifted and this ayah might just be the reason. Because to begin with – this duniya was never the ground for settling scores – akhira is the place of justice where our wages will be paid in full. Denying in this world might just mean that Allah is raising our ranks in the akhira. If something you asked for dint come true dont lose hope and be sure that if your deeds and duas are sincere your ranks are being raised in the akhira inshaAllah
Then we are told how the earth will shake with immense severity, the mountains will crumble down to become dust and get dispersed. The entire humankind on that day will be divided into 3 groups
- Those who will be handed their book of deeds in their right hands – the righteous companions and they will be happy.
- Those who will be handed their book of deeds in their left hands – the evil ones who will enter hell.
- The fore runners – The best and the most righteous group – they will be brought near Allah in the garden of paradise. The fore runners will mostly be from among the first generations and a very few from the latter generations.
Dua tip – Do not make dua to get your books in your right hands – rather make dua that Allah makes you from among the “fore runners on the day of judgement”. May Allah make us from among the fore runners on the day of judgement ameen ya rabbi!!
What is the difference between left hand companions, right hand companions and the fore runners?
1. Left Hand Companions – FAIL!
2. Right Hand Companions – PASS!
3. Sabiqun – The fore runners – A+!! 😀 🙂