Day 2 of the Ramadan 2013 Program brings the first of two parts of an exclusive session conducted by Ustadh Nouman Ali Khan on Surah Al-Hadid, which will set the stage for the Musabbihat (3 special surahs) coming up as this month progresses.
NOTES / GEMS
1. We are starting with Surat Al Hadid the first surah in the Musabbihat series. Surah hadid is not in the memorization plan but it’s dars is important since it lays down the foundation, sets the right tone for other surahs and is the mother of all the musabbihat.
2. This Dars will give you motivation to memorize more Qur’an in ramadan. It has 29 verses and is the 57th Surah in the mushaf. Surat Al-Ĥadīd means “The Iron”.
3. Along with the durus/ lecture of Surat Al Hadid start memorizing Surat Al Jumu’ah. Content and Lesson wise Ustadh NAK wanted to begin with Hadid.
4. Durus of Al Hadid Begins – U.NAK recites 57:1-6 (First 6 verses of Al Hadid)
6. There are 2 kinds of requirements for understanding/benefitting from the Qur’an.
a) Academic – Learning Arabic Language/ Studying Tafsir / Linguistic Analysis / Tradition / things that require you to ‘study’.
b) Psychological / Spiritual (More important than academic) – These requirements are the harder ones.
7. Someone intelligent can memorize, learn and understand qur’an at a great speed but the psychological requirement or the attitude is not something you can learn or keep forever. The attitude to really benefit from the Qur’an is a “LIFE LONG STRUGGLE” – you gotta fight to maintain the spiritual / psychological requirement.
8. PSYCHOLOGICAL REQUIREMENTS :
*Reminding oneself every single time – why am I learning this? Why am I studying tafsir / learning arabic / memorizing these ayaat? What is the point of all of this? -“INTENTION”
Usually the cliche’ answer is – “So that I may be guided”.
WHAT IS GUIDANCE? Everyday we are presented with choices and guidance is the strength to make the right choice. It means that I have to necessarily change the choices I make. Fight the voice inside us that lead me, you & us to failure.
Ex : Should I watch this or not? / Should I retort back or keep quiet? / Should I sleep or wake up?
We are never going to be good enough to obey Allah, you still have to do it.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
9. Shaytan does not spare any of us – no one (student of knowledge/ scholar / novice / expert). Qur’an offers us protection “audhu billah mina ‘sh-shaytani ‘r-rajeem”. Seek refuge in Allah whilst reciting the Qur’an else the shaytan –
a) Mess up your reading of the Qur’an – put waswasa/ distract – you wont get the benefit you need to get.
b) One of the reasons you should recite Qur’an is to get protection against shaytan.
The actual relationship I have with the Qur’an is not when I am listening to a lecture. It is not when I am memorizing. The actual relationship happens when I am standing in Salaat and reciting it. Standing in salaat listening to it being recited. The relationship we have with the Qur’an happens 5 times a day atleast. If somebody’s salaat is good their Qur’an is good. If someone is not engaging with the Qur’an in their salaat then their relationship with the Qur’an is entirely artificial. IT MEANS NOTHING. It is an entirely academic and superficial exercise. REAL QUR’AN HAPPENS IN SALAAT. Everything I learn and everything you learn about this book whether its tajweed/language/tafsir/memorizing this ayaat all of it comes down to “I WILL HAVE A BETTER SALAAT”. If I don’t have better salaat all of this is in vain none of this matters!! Because salaat is officially when you stop talking to everybody else and start talking to Allah in words He taught me – that’s the conversation that matters everything in life is in vain. IF THIS ISNT IN PLACE!
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
10. Ustadh planned to talk only about the 16th ayah of Hadid but then decided to start from the beginning and end on ayah 16th.
11. After hijrah there is an over all problem in motivation – the emaan is not what it used to be. And Allah has noticed that there are some weak elements in the muslim community.
12. There is the disease of hypocrisy amongst the companions. The beauty of this surah is even though its Madani the first 6 ayahs sound like they are from the Meccan Quran. These ayaat introduce us to Allah (All competent / All Knowing etc..) when this has already been done in the Meccan Qur’an.
13. These first 6 ayaat are not for academic pre-requisite, the muslims are not going to learn anything new that they don’t already know.
2/3rd of the Qur’an is Meccan and most of the Meccan Qur’an is about Eeman and Allah.
14. It seems that the first 6 ayaat are for quraish and the disbelievers but why is Allah telling this to the muslims who already know all this? ALLAH IS MAKING US THINK AND REFLECT UPON IT AGAIN!! We need to start over..
15. Everything in the sky declares Allah’s perfection – “What is wrong with you”?! “What happened to your tasbih”?
He is the Ultimate Authority – “How come my authority is not enough that you dont respect it”?
Full of Wisdom – “Why dont you trust the things I tell you to do, are good for you, why don’t you have any confidence in my wisdom”?
The kingdom of skies and The Earth belongs to Him – “Why are you afraid of your enemy, they have money, power & weapon in their hands, that it will somehow harm you, there is nothing in the skies and the earth that is out of MY KINGDOM”!!
He gives Life & He gives Death – “Why are you afraid of dying”?
He is control of ALL THINGS – “Allah’s power and might is not restrained. He can DO ANYTHING”!
16. We usually call “My Life” – I WANNA LIVE MY LIFE! – Who said its yours? People say “my hand hurts” – its your hand? How much did you pay for it? Where did you get it from, Amazon? 😛 🙂
HE GIVES LIFE AND HE GIVES DEATH (Referring to Allah)..
NOTHING IS OURS IT IS ALL “HIS”
17. Allah says HE IS THE FIRST AND THE LAST – this has many implications but the least you can do is start and end your day with the thought of Allah. What did I do today for you my master, me this insignificant creature do today for you?
18. Allah is THE ULTIMATELY OBVIOUS – Allah is in the unseen how is He calling himself obvious? The one who believes, they see Allah in everything, they see Allah in His work, creation and planning.
Ex – Something really annoying happens to you – you get stuck in traffic whilst going to an arabic class – you question was this Allah’s plan? Yes, it was. You need to learn patience before you get to learn arabic.
19. The more you describe the greatness of Allah – the more it instills humility inside us. Allah is always with us we are never alone. His company is there He is always watching, observing, testing and protecting constantly. We are NEVER alone.
– I am not alone in a hotel room.
– I am not alone on the Campus.
– I am not alone in a Car.
20. People who want to look for alien life – who ask “are we alone in this universe?” – we are not alone. And actually we ourselves are aliens 😛 we were sent on this earth. We are not from this place we were sent to this place. If you want to look at aliens look at each other (Lol !! 😀 ). Everyone of you, a part of you is alien. An angel came from the sky and delivered “the rooh” into your mother’s belly.
21. If I realize Allah is with us “The websites we browse will change” – “The phone numbers we dial would change” – EVERYTHING about you would change.
Example – How do people act in front of their boss? How they act when they see police car on the side of a highway?
You recognize the presence of a Higher power and it changes your behavior. If we internalized “huwa maAAakum ayna makuntum” – and He is with you wherever you are” there would necessarily be a change in our behavior.
22. Ma’aa = It not just means “with you” – it means “someone is there to support you” ♥ ♥ Rasool Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم comforted Abu Bakr Siddique in the cave saying “la tahzan inna Allaha‘maAA’ana = Be not sad (or afraid), surely Allah is with us.”
Allah is with everyone, He subhanahu wata’ala is with Quraish as well but he is “Ma’aa” with the believers.
23. Allah says he owns the heavens and the earth twice – why does someone say something twice?? Allah is talking to those who listen to the ayaat of Qur’an but dont internalize it. The first time Allah mentioned it – it was a statement – the 2nd time it is a threat! All the things we do, they are reported back to Allah.
Example – Listen to me “I am your father!” – Listen to me “I AM YOUR FATHER!!!!” – why did he have to say it twice? Because it is not getting in your head. You don’t show respect!
24. When you internalize all that you do goes back to Allah – your nights and days will change. He knows everything thats deep inside your heart. The evil thoughts you have, the deep temptations. The things you want to say but you dont say – ALLAH KNOWS IT ALL!
25. If we knew what each others evil thoughts were we would run from each other like we have never seen a more evil person. Allah knows who you really.. really… REALLY… are! Even your wife doesn’t know who you really are – your husband doesn’t know who you really are. Husband and wife know each other more than anybody else but even they are surprised to sometimes find “thats who you are?!”. Allah says ‘I know who you really are’.
PLEASE REMEMBER THIS – THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT – People might have a good opinion of you and people might have a bad opinion of you, none of that means anything to Allah. Allah’s opinion of you has nothing to do with people’s opinion of you. If people think you are great that is no guarantee that Allah thinks you are great. NONE!! NONE!! You are kidding yourself. If people think you are terrible… you are going to hell.. you are evil.. that is no guarantee that Allah thinks you are evil ♥ ♥ ♥ 😥 Allah still has love for you. What people think of me and what people think of you MEANS NOTHING!! with Allah.. When people praise us and people condemn us we don’t let that make us think ‘O thats how Allah thinks of me’. On one hand people become delusional when people praise them, they think they are praise worthy with Allah – they become delusional – hypocrisy sets in, self righteousness sets in and they lose all ranking with Allah. Then all they get is duniya and people’s praise. And they come in front of Allah and Allah says ‘you got what you were working for – you got nothing with me’ . And on the other hand you have people who may be trying to do good but others judge them and pass verdicts on them, they start thinking ‘people think I am messed up – I must be messed up’. Who told you, you are messed up? Allah dint give up on you – You gave up on yourself. Allah says I dint judge you – I kept the doors of tawba open for you. I had the invitation open – why did you give up on me? Dont blame people, blame yourself.
26. Sometimes we complain – nobody understands me! Don’t worry – Allah understands you perfectly and totally.
27. Revive & rethink your relationship with Allah and his messenger. We need to use the temporary talent and ability granted to us by Allah and spend it in His way. Those who spend in Allah’s way will have HUGE COMPENSATION and that compensation will NOT be temporary – subhanAllah ♥
28. Allah has taken an agreement from all of us. When we said our shahada – when we said “la ilaha illallah muhammadur rasulullah” it was an agreement with Allah! 🙂
29. HOW WILL I GET EEMAN?? He sends upon his slaves “Qur’an” that makes “Eeman” clear. The qur’an clears the clutter in our hearts, it opens us up. So that Allah can bring us out of darkness into light.
30. This ayah is scary – Usually it is the kafir who is in darkness but here Allah is referring to Muslims. The darkness of a Muslim is “hypocrisy – NIFAQ”. Allah sends ayaat not only for non muslims to become muslims but also for muslims to become mumin.
~~FOR WEAK MUSLIMS TO BECOME REAL MUMIN~~
It is He who sends down upon His Servant [Muhammad] verses of clear evidence that He may bring you out from darknesses into the light. And indeed, Allah is to you Kind and Merciful.
(Surat Al Hadid 57:9)
31. If you say you have a weak eeman, you must have a weak relationship with Qur’an to have a weak eeman.
Allah gave us qur’an so that we can keep our eeman fresh. The most valuable treasure we have is eeman in our hearts. If we have eeman in our hearts & everything else can go and we are ok, and if we don’t have eeman in our hearts you can have everything in your head and nothing is ok. We are going to go in front of Allah bankrupt!
THE CLOTHES WILL BE GONE
THE CHILDREN WILL BE GONE
THE MONEY WILL BE GONE
THE CARS WILL BE GONE
Anything worthy that we can show Allah on the day of judgement is EEMAN…
‘Illa man ata Allahabiqalbin saleem – Except him who brings to Allah a clean heart [clean from Shirk (polytheism) and Nifaq (hypocrisy)’
[Surat Ash-Shu’ara 26:89]
32. Allah gave us necessary exercise for everyday in which we use this book and clean our rusty heart again and again and again – SALAAT – it is a mechanism through which our heart is cleansed.
33. Allah has a special place for muslims who live in difficult times and then spent. Who live in the midst of fitna and yet practice Islam. And spending just doesnt just mean money, it means time, it means priority, it means weekends and weeknights, early mornings etc,.